Thursday, November 12, 2009

DIY Free Motion Rollers

I've been riding my indoor magnetic/fluid trainer since 2004. I bought it to maintain some cycling form and endurance through the winter here in New England. It has served me well, though some of the sensation of riding your bike on the road is lost.

So... I started looking at rollers... and it seems they're nothing new. Here's some history of bike rollers and their use in gold sprints racing.

I actually considered trying to make some, including taking apart an old treadmill for bearings and rollers. I also considered using PVC pipe and some wood to build a set like these. Decided that I didn't have the time/money to fool around with building a set that might not work, so I began looking for a used set.

One failed attempt at buying a used set off of Craigslist and a subsequent 20% sale online, I decided to pick up a set of Travel Trac Aluminum Rollers from Performance Bike for around $120 plus shipping.



I went for the less expensive aluminum rollers rather than the PVC set which came with a built-in, belt driven resistance unit. I figured I could add a resistance unit later if I wanted to (which I found out later they don't make anymore). I'd read in a few places that the aluminum rollers created a bit more noise than the PVC, but there was no worrying about UV damage to the rollers as I guess is a concern with the PV if used or left in the sunlight.

It took a few days for them to arrive, and my first spin took me sideways off the rollers... second attempt... not so bad... third attempt and I'm spinning freely.

The rollers are definitely provide a realistic sensation compared to the rear wheel stationary trainers.

In my search to build a set, I happened across a few posts/videos on do-it-yourself free motion rollers and thought I could easily modify my new rollers to do the same.   Took some roller blade wheels off of some of my son's old roller blades and mounted them via some custom brackets to the bottom of the roller frame.

Spent an hour fashioning a frame from some 2x4's and here's the result:

Frame fashioned from two 2x4's and some medium density fiberboard that I had laying around that came from my treadmill shipping box.  I actually need to shorten the frame some, as I wanted to keep it long to see how much movement I had before I cut it to the right length.  The frame is very lightweight and manageable.  I imagine I could possible put a couple of strategically placed hinges on it to make it even more portable.  Pretty simple the way it is though.



Glued and then screwed the 2x4 from the underside to keep it looking clean.



The Travel Trac Technique Alu rollers have removable "feet."  I used the machine screw that came with the roller to fasten some cut-to-length angled aluminum I was fortunate to get from my father.  The aluminum bracket had a taper to it so it took some countersinking and drilling to get the screw to set just right.


 

 Below you can see the roller assembly set on top of the wooden frame. 



I purchased my only hardware for the build at a discount hardware store for about $4.



Remove one of the hooks from each elastic bungie and clamp to frame.  I later determined that to get the right movement, you want the bungie to be attached so it is "just" taught - not stretched with too much tension.



Check back for some video of the rollers in action!

So now what do you do with a set of modified rollers?

No comments:

Post a Comment